Sunday, January 18, 2015

Actually, I Think I am Just Going to Go to Sleep

Yes, yes we do.

“A Skeleton in Water” (Wow, Sammi, you're so good at titles. Thanks, Sammi!)

I.
In closing my eyes,
my eyelids cover the distance
of 100 miles, and again
when opening them.
The ceiling and I
(though light years apart)
look at each other,
exchanging understanding glances
of what it means
to crack and peel.

Air travels the length
of Texas to fill my lungs,
which I can feel,
resigned and disintegrating,
having gathered
a rainforest’s
worth of oxygen
just to touch my ribs.

Exhaling a windstorm of air,
I roll, travelling an acre
to the end of my bed, and
allow myself to fall.
My feet hit the ground
with the momentum of a dive
from the top of Mount Everest.

Despite my growth, I don’t feel
the shortened distance of my
new height and the world,
out of thoughtfulness,
continues to encompass
the distance of infinity.

Traversing the distance
of the Sahara Desert,
I arrive at my desk,
and reach
(from the bottom of the Mariana’s Trench)
to grab my car keys;
holding them at armslength,
they might as well be on the moon.

The thought of traversing a tundra,
which covers the distance to Jupiter,
just to arrive at my car,
diminishes my wave of motivation and resolve
as quickly as it formed; my keys
drop from the Empire State Building
and land on my desk.

(I lean back
and plummet off
the end of
the earth.)

II.
The connection,
the plug, fixing my brain to
the rest of me,  requires
the world’s supply of extension cords.
Voices reach me as whispers.
I scream, knowing my friends ears
are too far away to hear me.
The bones in my fingers
slide away from one another:
tendons and muscle failing me; they stretch,
and then fall away.
I cannot bend my ankles; I have no
lungs that ask for air.

What purpose could such a body serve?

My bones, reaching the deafening quiet
that follows immense cacophony, splinter.
Disintegrating, the dust of my fossils
scatters as particles. My atoms find
no attraction in one another.

I am everywhere.


"Please don't go, please don't go
I love you so, I love you so
Please break my heart"




***

"I know because I've seen your footsteps, sometimes the road gets so dark, you forget what light was like.

I know, it's easy to forget that it's just the end of the day, not the end of you.

And if you'd let me walk with you, I'd tell you that it doesn't matter who you walk with, as long as you walk this road, well."

-"The Place I Stopped Briefly" (Source)

No comments:

Post a Comment