Saturday, July 19, 2014

The Theory of Relativity

In 9th grade, Lexi and I were in Europe. I had to read some book for science class about Einstein and the theory of relativity. Over and over again, I would get confused about what that was so I'd ask Lexi. I must've asked her ten times: "Lexi, I'm so confused. Can you explain this?" "It's the same thing as before, Sammi." "I-I know. I just... forgot." After going over it, again, Lexi would go back to doing her own school work, only to be called back a half hour later to reexplain the same idea that had somehow gotten lost inside my brain.

That's sort of how I feel like everything is now: I forget and then the Lexi in my head reminds me and brings everything to the forefront of my mind and then for some reason I'm crying. I wish the Lexi in my head could explain to Becca why I was crying when she handed me a bag of Milkyways, Pretzel M&Ms, and a Spiderman balloon. I certainly couldn't explain it. Or why I was tipping everyone like I was trying to buy my way into heaven. Or why we were shouting profanities at random people on the highway. (The best of which included: Fuck you and your mustache, Do you fuck cows?, and Nice fucking face. These are obviously hurtful things, which is why I'm glad that our windows were up.) Or why I kept going long after the game had lost its initial luster and Becca's interest had waned.

I wish I could explain the theory of relativity, but it has a lot to do with things I don't really understand. That doesn't stop the Lexi in my head from trying over and over again to present the idea in simpler and simpler terms until it sticks. Now she's speaking like a caveman, trying to explain that even if I'm running North at 5mph, the Southbound train I'm riding at 55mph will still be carrying me South. That to people outside the train I'm stupidly traveling 50mph when I could easily be going 55mph, but to me, I'm only going 5mph and the end of the train is fast approaching.



I don't know why this is accurate, but it is.

Had to ask Lexi if my math was right. No Lexi. You can never be in one of my blog posts again.

No comments:

Post a Comment