Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Semicolons

"It's easy.

You just wake up and say, 'Today I will write the most beautiful thing I've ever written.'

Then you fail and go to bed.

Then you wake up and say it again."

- I Wrote This For You by Pleasefindthis (Source)

I'm going to go back to bed now.


Semicolons are kind of cool because they connect the two independent clauses but only if the two clauses are related to (or controversial to) one another. They're like two little individuals, both are separate and different thoughts, but about the same subject; they just happen to be inhabiting the same space. (How To Use Semicolons) <--- Worth a click. (Side note. I really like semicolons. I'm never really sure if I'm using them correctly, but I like them a lot; I'm just gonna throw them in there whenever I want to.)

"I hope that in the future they invent a small golden light that follows you everywhere and when something is about to end, it shines brightly so you know it's about to end.

And if you're never going to see someone again, it'll shine brightly and both of you can be polite and say, 'It was nice to have you in my life while I did, good luck with everything that happens after now.'

And maybe if you're never going to eat at the same restaurant again, it'll shine and you can order everything off the menu you've never tried. Maybe, if someone's about to buy your car, the light will shine and you can take it for one last spin. Maybe, if you're with a group of friends who'll never be together again, all your lights will shine at the same time and you'll know, and then you can hold each other and whisper, 'This was so good. Oh my God, this was so good.'"

I Wrote This For You by Pleasefindthis (Source)

Here's a tip. Don't become friends with seniors because they leave you. Here's another tip. Don't become friends with underclassmen and juniors because you have to leave them. Final tip. Don't make friends. Don't leave your room. Or your bed. Only move when you want cookies. Drink juice. Be unsure whether you need a break from everyone or want to be around them constantly. Be annoyed at everyone's existence but when you let them know that they're bothering you or that you want to be left alone, be prepared for their anger towards you. Be never good enough at anything, but merely mediocre enough at everything that people think you have value but also make you feel bad for not being a star at anything. I think I should stop giving advice.

Sometimes being a person is difficult and I still can't wrap my head around why. I should be able to get out of bed, organize my clothes, do laundry, clean up my desk, eat something other than Thin Mints, and do homework. I have the time; I'm not even that tired. But right now, writing is really difficult and I'm supposed to be writing about how unhappy I used to be and that's all good and well except I feel like some kind of phony (Holden Caulfield would hate me). I don't really remember feeling so alone; I don't really want to. I filed that into "Things I'm Not Anymore" and I don't really like going through that file. It's filled with spastic five-year-old Sammi (This spastic age also seemed to last well into my preteen years.) and boy-crazy twelve-year-old Sammi (yeah, yeah, yeah. Insert gasps here.) and a slightly-more-than-morbid fifteen-year-old Sammi. I've distanced myself from that; why would I waste time thinking about who I used to be especially when it has no bearing on who I am now? 

Why am I more excited about semicolons than people?




In other news:

(I can't find a source for this and I'm so sorry, but it's got a water mark (????))
Also, they are making a movie of Papertowns and even though the theme of the book should make this the most important quote:


The only quote that I need (NEED, need) to be in that movie is this one:

“I don’t think I’m very good.”

“At what?”

“At kissing. And, I mean, she’s done a lot more kissing than me over the years. I don’t want to suck so bad she dumps me. Girls dig you,” he said to me, which was at best true only if you defined the word girls as “girls in the marching band.” “Bro, I’m asking for advice.”

I was tempted to bring up all Ben’s endless blather about the various ways in which he would rock various bodies, but I just said, “As far as I can tell, there are two basic rules: 1. Don’t bite anything without permission, and 2. The human tongue is like wasabi: it’s very powerful, and should be used sparingly.”

Ben’s eyes suddenly grew bright with panic. I winced, and said, “She’s standing behind me, isn’t she?”

“‘The human tongue is like wasabi,’” Lacey mimicked in a deep, goofy voice that I hoped didn’t really resemble mine. I wheeled around. “I actually think Ben’s tongue is like sunscreen,” she said. “It’s good for your health and should be applied liberally.”

I have no words Mr. Green.


"I could call you baby, I could call you, dammit, it's a one in a million
Oh it's the rolling of your Spanish tongue that made me wanna stay"

No comments:

Post a Comment